Museums in the Temples
1.The Church of Intercession in Fili. The Church of Intercession in Fili is a unique monument of architecture, decorative and fine art of the late XVII century. The temple was built in 1692-1693 by the boyar Lev Naryshkin, the uncle of Peter the Great, in the Moscow – area estate. It is a brilliant example of the architecture of the so-called Naryshkin style (or Baroque). The Temple combines both the Church and the Bell tower in itself.
The Church has altars in summer and winter temples. The top, summer temple, in the name of the Saviour, is almost completely preserved its original interior decoration. The Golden carving of the iconostasis, the choir and the Tsar’s box was made by the best Moscow carvers. The icons for the iconostasis were painted by Kirill Ulanov and Karp Zolotarev, the outstanding artists from the Armoury. The upper part of the temple is open as a Museum during the summer season (15 May — 15 October).
The interior of the lower part of the Church of Intercession was renovated several times during the XVIII-XIX centuries. Church services are hold here on holidays and weekends.
2.The Cathedral Of Christ The Savior. The complex of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior is a unique architectural construction. It has Upper and Lower Churches, Museum, viewing point, the hall of Church councils and refectory.
The Main Orthodox Church of Moscow intertwined closely the past, the present and the future of Russia, its Faith, Memory and Hope. The Cathedral of Christ the Savior, conceived as a monument to the Patriotic War of 1812, became a part of Russian national sad and tragic history. The main exposition of the Museum is devoted to the history of the Temple of Christ the Savior, the monument to the feat of arms of the Russian people in the Patriotic War of 1812 — its creation, death and rebirth. The original exhibits are particularly interesting: the fitting Board of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior of 1839 year, which was survived miraculously after the explosion, the fragments of the memorial plates with the names of heroes, monumental works, fine and decorative art. Tours are made throughout the temple and the viewing point. You will see amazing and unforgettable panorama of one of the most beautiful cities. You will also see centuries-old architectural mosaic of Moscow, which always impresses with its whimsical play of styles and tastes. There is a wonderful view of the panorama of Moscow from four sites, located between the bell towers of the Temple, at a height of 40 meters.
3.Museum-Church of St. Nicholas in Tolmachy has the status of a family chapel at the Tretyakov Gallery. The exhibits from the Museum’s collection is a significant part of its design. These are the icons of the main and side iconostases, including “St. Nicholas”, “The Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles”, and also altar crosses, liturgical utensils. You will also find here the greatest Russian relic and the world-famous work of art, the pride of the Gallery collection –”Virgin of Vladimir” icon (XII century). It is kept in a specially equipped display case. The existence of this icon at the Museum-temple allows you to combine art and culture nature of this monument.
A stone church was erected in 1697 by L. Dobrynin. He was a parishioner of the Church of the Resurrection in Chadashy. At various times, the temple was rebuilt and reconstructed: the chapel of the Intercession was added to the refectory in 1770; then the refectory was rebuilt, according to the project of F. M. Shestakova, and, a new bell tower was put in 1834; the main altar was rebuilt in 1856. It is known, that Pavel Tretyakov, the founder of the Tretyakov gallery, was a parishioner of St. Nicholas in Tolmachy.
The restoration of the temple was completed in 1997, by its 300-year anniversary. The bell tower was erected and the five domes of the quadrangle were restored. Three of the iconostasis, wall cases, wall paintings were completely restored. This Temple became the first family Church – Museum in Russia, which had the honor to store the Relics.
4.Moscow Novodevichy Convent is one of the most famous Moscow monasteries. Today, it is the current women’s Convent, and, also, the monument of history and architecture, included into world cultural heritage site by UNESCO. The history of the monastery is closely connected with the history of the miraculous Smolensk Image of the Blessed Virgin Mary, painted, according to the legend, by Luke the Evangelist on the blessing of the Blessed Virgin. Vasily III, the Grand Prince of Moscow, founded a Convent in 1524 after the return of Smolensk to the Russian State. Powerful domes of the Smolensk Cathedral in the heart of the monastic ensemble are the witnesses of those times. The other temples, as well as chamber walls, towers were built later and referred to the style of “Naryshkin Baroque”, widely spread in the late XVII – early XVIII centuries. Novodevichy Convent is famous for many historical events. Royal and Ducal women became nuns here..
The ancient monastery is one of the most visited tourist sites in Moscow. There is a Church Museum with a Tour Desk. Several permanent exhibitions are open. There is a necropolis in the Novodevichy cConvent, where entombments of famous ancestors, military, figures of science and culture are preserved.
5.Conception Convent is the oldest convent in Moscow. In 1360 Alexis, metropolitan of Moscow, built a wooden Church of the Conception and founded a monastery in its territory. The first nuns were his sisters: the hegumeness Juliana and nun Eupraxia. In 1547 the monastery was destroyed by fire and relocated closer to the Kremlin.
The main architectural monument of the monastery is the Gate Church of the Saviour. It is the only preserved during the Soviet era.
There is a Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin in the center of monastery, which was built in 2008-2012 instead of the destroyed churches of XVI—XIX centuries. The Cathedral includes the above-ground part, which is a one-storey temple, and underground level. The aboveground part is the main Church with five domes and cross-dome system vaults. They consist of a main altar and two side altars. There is also a small temple, which has replaced the ruined Church of the XVIII century, and the refectory with two chapels. The underground level preserved the parts of the destroyed monastery walls.
Moscow’s first underground Museum is located on the territory of the Convent of the Conception. Its exhibits included the remains of the cathedrals of 16-18 centuries, which were discovered by archaeologists during six years of excavations at this site.